Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

NYFW AW20: Marc Jacobs

Marc Jacobs - The Ultimate Closer

Marc Jacobs seems to take his runway one of two ways; it is either incredibly experimental or it is rather basic and there is nothing in between. I would say this season was more wearable with experimental elements which seems to have been the case for the past few Marc Jacobs runways.

This season there seemed to be many different influences and styles and even a celebrity appearance. Miley Cyrus has worked with Marc Jacobs multiple times so it only seemed fitting that she walked this seasons runway. Donatella Versace has J.Lo whereas Marc Jacobs has Miley. However, this wasn't enough to get the most social engagement of AW20, instead that accolade went to Michael Kors

Picture from Vogue

Autumn/Winter 2020

The show opened with some of these more experimental looks and closed with the more experimental looks but the middle was definitely more wearable. It felt like the show sort of went through different phases, different eras of fashion, with it being a bit younger at the beginning. 

There were a lot of pastel outfits which are all the same colour and with shiny, disco leggings underneath. It felt quite 60s inspired due to the square neck line and a-line skirt of the dress (outfit below). There were a couple of outfits in this style on the runway, all in pastel colours which really brightened up the show from the start. 

Picture from Vogue

Stepping forward a little bit you have a slight more 70s-80s vibe with punk inspired check patterns, bomber jackets and leather skirts. I have to say I think these elements were my personal favourite parts of the runway because they do look so badass and it is something I would actually wear. The outfit with the leather skirt is actually incredibly similar to a look I wear to work.

The check jumpsuit is a piece I desperately need for my wardrobe. I love a jumpsuit anyway but this version is quite the masterpiece. Throughout the show there is quite a bit of colour but the deep red in this jumpsuit was one of my favourite colours in the runway. There were a few pieces which featured this stunning cherry red and it really helped to liven up the runway. The only thing I didn't like about the check jumpsuit is that it was paired with a mini pair of gloves that look like your about to cut up a body, those can definitely go. 

Picture from Vogue
Picture from Vogue

Continuing the runway, it all remained quite conservative but nothing quite compared to some of the coats and glasses which would have been incredibly appropriate for Jackie O. There was a lot of 60s style hair with little pea coats, socks with heels and large round tinted sunglasses. It seems odd to describe a runway as chic, as that is what they are all designed to be, but this felt very chic.

Picture from Vogue

Sticking with a clear theme of this seasons NYFW, Marc Jacobs also had an all over black lace dress which we also saw on the Tom Ford runway and Longchamp runway. This rendition has a high front and a long back and I have to say I am not a fan of this. I think this would have been better if it was longer like the Tom Ford one. With this dress there are two factors which work together to make me unsure about it: the lace being completely sheer and the high hem at the front. The two factors work together to make the dress seem a bit revealing, I don't know whether that is just me though. 

Picture from Vogue

Based on This Runway, What Should You Be Adding to Your A/W Wardrobe?

Classic 60s is back - big hair, even bigger sunglasses and the mini skirt, all things that the 60s gave us and now Marc Jacobs is giving it back to us once again. There are many elements of 60s fashion that I do not like but Marc Jacobs seems to have picked out the ones I do actually like and reinvent them alongside more contemporary pieces. The 70s were big during SS20 and now we have travelled back another decade.

Boy Shorts and Long Socks - I actually haven't included a picture of it in this post as it is not a look that I am overly fond of but there were a lot of boy shorts and long socks. There is certainly a trend of taking traditionally masculine pieces and making them feminine as that is also what The Row did and Max Mara started off the boy shorts last season in that incredible spy themed runway. 

One Colour Outfits - Once again there are these outfits which are made up of one colour, it seems gone are the days of struggling to pick pieces that go together, you can just wear the same. That is now: The Row, Jonathan Simkhai and Brandon Maxwell who have included this sort of look.

Lace and more Lace - There has already been so much lace this season and we have only just finished New York Fashion Week, we've still got 3 weeks to go! These gothic, oversized, lace maxi dresses have been all over the runway already so who else will be showing one? I have to say the Marc Jacobs version is my least favourite, I do not like the hi-low hem line, I think it should have gone straight to the ground. If you want to see this style done right, check out Tom Ford

Punk Check Patterns - I am always a check fan, the humble flannel is one of my favourite layering pieces during Autumn and I love to see it used in such a simple yet effective way like Marc Jacobs has done with that jumpsuit. I adore it, I love the proportions, the belted waist and the check print. The colour of this check is my favourite that I have seen as part of NYFW so far. I am desperate to get a pair of trousers with this print. 

I feel like there were so many elements of the Marc Jacobs runway that could have been spoken about and I definitely missed a few off so it is worth looking at the entire collection to see all of the different phases of the show. 


If you want to see more of the Marc Jacobs Runway, here is a link to the full collection on Vogue: Marc Jacobs Autumn/Winter Ready-to-Wear Collection

You might also like:

Michael Kors AW20
Oscar De La Renta
The Row AW20
Brandon Maxwell AW20
Jonathan Simkhai










Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar